"The President was alive. I was alive. No idea what the hell had just happened, other than that I was simply alive, and glad of it."
Nations of Earth Ambassador Cory Wilson had thought the hardest part of his role would be mastering the many intricacies of gamra pronouns. Then the President is shot in front of him, and all clues point to extraterrestrial agencies.
Only the truth will prevent the conflict escalating, but to find it, Cory has to challenge the very top of the Coldi hierarchy, in a society where the simple act of looking someone in the eye or using the wrong pronouns can mean the difference between life and death.
Patty Jansen's incredible science fiction thriller, featuring interplanetary intrigue, unearthly greed, interstellar romance, and an ambassador from New Zealand is now shipping in three editions.
Ambassador is also available in all good online bookshops worldwide.
We are incredibly pleased to announce that editors Liz Grzyb and Talie Helene have signed on to produce another three annual volumes of The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror.
These volumes shall see the series continue until at least 2016, comprising the very best antipodean stories from 2015.
The first of these new volumes, covering stories published in 2013, is now open for submissions.
The deadline for submissions is 31 January 2014.
- Stories should have a listed author who is a citizen, resident or otherwise be recognised as having significant ties to Australia and/or New Zealand.
- Stories must have been published between 1 January and 31 December 2013.
- Stories must be received by the editors by the deadline.
- Stories should be no longer than 8,500 words in length.
- The editors will accept photocopies of eligible stories and electronic copies. If you have any queries please contact the relevant editor via the email address provided.
- Stories should be available in electronic format to be selected for inclusion.
- Decisions made by editors are final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
Please note that while the editors do read widely, they are relying on writers to assist them by sending copies of their stories. This is the best way to ensure that stories do not get overlooked.
Expected Publication Date June 2013
Year's Best Fantasy and Horror
PO Box 29
Greenwood WA 6924
Year's Best Fantasy and Horror
PO Box 2553
Ringwood North VIC 3134
With the next volume of The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror (2012) off to the printers, we can reveal Liz Grzyb's and Talie Helene's Recommended Reading List.
- Joanne Anderton, “High Density”, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #53
- ——— “The Bone Chime Song”, Light Touch Paper Stand Clear
- Daniel Baker, “At The Crossroads”, Aurealis #51
- Alan Baxter, “Cephalopoda Obsessia”, Bloodstones
- ——— “Crossroads and Carousels”, The Red Penny Papers
- ——— “Fear is the Sin”, From Stage Door Shadows
- ——— and Felicity Dowker, “Burning, Always Burning”,
- Damnation and Dames,
- Eddy Burger, “Domestic Berserker”, Dark Edifice 3
- Jenny Blackford, “The Sacrifice”, Aurealis #47
- James Bradley, “Beauty’s Sister”, Penguin
- Isobelle Carmody, “The Wolf Prince”, Metro Winds
- ——— “Metro Winds”, Metro Winds
- Jay Caselberg, “Blind Pig”, Damnation and Dames
- Steve Cameron, “If You Give This Girl a Ride”, Cover of Darkness 11
- David Conyers and Brian M. Sammons, “The R’lyeh Singularity”, Cthulhu Unbound 3.
- Terry Dowling , “Mariners’ Round”, Postscripts 28/29: Exotic Gothic 4
- ——— “The Way the Red Clown Hunts You”, Subterranean, Winter 2012
- Thoraiya Dyer, “The Second Card Of The Major Arcana”, Apex
- ——— “Faet’s Fire”, Light Touch Paper, Stand Clear
- ——— “Surviving Film”, Bloodstones
- Jacob Edwards, “Salt & Pepper”, Polluto 9¾: Witchfinders Vs The Evil Red
- Marina Finlayson, “The Family Business”, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #55
- Joanna Galbraith, “The Keeper’s Heart”, The Coloured Lens #3
- Michelle Goldsmith, “The Hound of Henry Hortinger”, Pandemonium: Stories of the Smoke
- “The Skin of the World”, Stephanie Gunn, Bloodstones
- ——— “Ghosts”, Epilogue
- Lisa L. Hannett, Angela Slatter, “The Red Wedding”, Midnight and Moonshine
- ——— “Warp And Weft”, Midnight and Moonshine
- ——— “Prohibition Blues”, Damnation and Dames
- Richard Harland, “A Mother’s Love”, Bloodstones
- Narrelle M. Harris, “Thrall”, Showtime
- Robert Hood, “Escena de un Asesinato”, Postscripts 28/29: Exotic Gothic 4
- ——— “Walking the Dead Beat”, Damnation and Dames
- Deborah Kalin, “First They Came . . .”, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #55
- Pete Kempshall, “Dead Inside”, Bloodstones
- ——— “Sound and Fury”, Damnation and Dames
- Margo Lanagan, “Isles Of The Sun”, Cracklescape
- ——— “Titty Anne and the Very, Very Hairy Man”, Meanjin, Volume 71, Number 4.
- ——— “Significant Dust”, Cracklescape
- ——— “Bajazzle”, Cracklescape
- S. G. Larner, “Duck Creek Road”, Bloody Parchment: Hidden Things, Lost Things and other stories
- Martin Livings, “Birthday Suit”, Living with the Dead
- ——— “The Ar-Dub”, Living with the Dead
- Tracie McBride, “Drive, She Said”, Lovecraft eZine 14
- Andrew J. McKiernan, “They Don’t Know That We Know What They Know”, Midnight Echo 8
- ——— “The Final Degustation of Doctor Ernest Blenheim”, Midnight Echo 7
- Kelly Matsuura, “Hours on the Voodoo Clock”, Free Flash Fiction
- Nicole Murphy, “Euryale”, Bloodstones
- Jason Nahrung, “The Mornington Ride”, Epilogue
- ——— “Breaking the Wire”, Aurealis #47
- Ian Nichols, “In the Dark”, Apex Magazine 37
- Shauna O’Meara, “Blood Lillies”, Midnight Echo 8
- Christopher Sequeria, “The Adventure of the Lost Specialist”, Sherlock Holmes: The Crossovers Casebook
- Helen Stubbs, “Sayuri’s Revenge”, Tales From the Bell Club
- Anna Tambour, “King Wolf”, A Season in Carcosa
- Kaaron Warren, “The Pickwick Syndrome”, Stories Of The Smoke
- ——— “Sky”, Through Splintered Walls
- ——— “Creek”, Through Splintered Walls
- ——— “The Lighthouse Keepers’ Club”, Postscripts 28/29: Exotic Gothic 4
Order a copy of The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2012 at indiebooksonline -- 492 pages of awesome goodness!
Tradepaperback $35 http://www.indiebooksonline.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/153
Hardcover $55 http://www.indiebooksonline.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/152
We're thrilled to get our first copies of Glenda Larke's debut novel Havenstar back from the printers. It looks great!
It will be available at all good online bookshops from Monday 8 July, or you can order directly from us at indiebooksonline.
This weekend you can catch us at the Supanova Pop Culture Expo in Perth.
The fabulous Juliet Marillier, author of Prickle Moon, is one of the guests of the expo and we have a table full of copies of Prickle Moon and other fantastic books.
We're offering a special deal - buy any two books and get a free copy of one of Troy, Magic Dirt, Fantastic Wonder Stories, or The Workers' Paradise.
If you're coming to the Expo drop by and say hello. We're in the Artists' Alley.
Our next release, Glenda Larke's Havenstar is off to the printers.
Glenda Larke's first novel, out of print for almost 15 years, will be available worldwide on 8 July.
Keris Kaylen is a mapmaker's daughter. When her father is murdered and a mountain disappears, Keris is betrayed by her brother. Forced to flee into the Unstable, she finds her safety is in the hands of a man bonded to the Lord Carasma, the Unmaker…and her ordered life is turned upside-down. Her survival will depend on a map and a place called Havenstar—but she can't reproduce the map, and Havenstar may not even exist...
It's an incredible work, an awesome page-turner, and we'd love it to be one everyone's shelf. Once you start reading you won't be able to put it down.
Havenstar will be available in three editions -- limited hardcover, trade hardcover, and trade paperback. You can order these at indiebooksonline.com