The latest volume in our award-winning Year's Best series, The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2015 is weeks away. Editors Liz Grzyb and Talie Helene have selected 31 incredible stories, over 150,000 words, from Australia and New Zealand published in 2015.
In addition, the volume features an indepth review of the genre in 2015 and a recommended reading list.
The stories are
- Joanne Anderton, “2B”
- Alan Baxter, “The Chart of the Vagrant Mariner”
- Deborah Biancotti, “Look How Cold My Hands Are”
- Stephen Dedman, “Oh, Have You Seen The Devil”
- Erol Engin, “The Events at Callan Park”
- Jason Fischer, “The Dog Pit”
- Dirk Flinthart, “In the Blood”
- Kimberley Gaal, “In Sheep's Clothing”
- Stephanie Gunn, “The Flowers That Bloom Where Blood Touches Earth”
- Lisa Hannett, “Consorting With Filth”
- Robert Hood, “Double Speak”
- Kathleen Jennings, “A Hedge of Yellow Roses”
- Maree Kimberley, “Ninehearts”
- Jay Kristoff, “Sleepless”
- Martin Livings, “El Caballo Muerte”
- Danny Lovecraft, “Reminiscences of Herbert West”
- Kirstyn McDermott, “Self, Contained”
- Sally McLennan, “ Mr Schmidt's Dead Pet Emporium”
- DK Mok, “Almost Days”
- Faith Mudge, “Blueblood”
- Samantha Murray, “Half Past”
- Jason Nahrung, “Night Blooming”
- Garth Nix, “The Company of Women”
- Anthony Panegyres, “Lady Killer”
- Rivqa Rafael, “Beyond the Factory Wall”
- Deborah Sheldon, “Perfect Little Stitches”
- Angela Slatter, “Bluebeard's Daughter”
- Cat Sparks, “Dragon Girl”
- Lucy Sussex, “Angelito”
- Anna Tambour, “Tap”
- Kaaron Warren, “Mine Intercom”
This volume was successfully funded through a crowd-sourcing campaign, and will be the first time an Australian Year's Best genre series has run to 6 consecutive single-year volumes. The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2015 will be available in hardcover, paperback, and ebook, in February/March 2017.
The hardcover and paperback are available to pre-order at indiebooksonline.
The editors will begin reading for the 2016 volume in due course. Please keep an eye on our website.