This anthology, with the working title Hear Me Roar, is looking at kick-arse chicks of all varieties in a speculative fiction world – female superheroes, scientists, subversives and rulers. We want character-driven stories with strong female protagonists.
The stories can be any variety of speculative fiction: science fiction, fantasy, horror, paranormal romance, urban fantasy or a mix.
We are not looking for stories where women are objectified, where there is gratuitous gore or erotica.
The anthology will be edited by Liz Grzyb, award-winning editor of eight anthologies including The Year’s Best Australian Fantasy and Horror, and will be published by Ticonderoga Publications in 2015.
Send me your best speculative fiction story featuring strong women.
- Story length 2,500 to 7,500 words. (Longer stories may be accepted, although payment is capped at 7,500).
- Original stories only: no reprints, multiple, or simultaneous submissions.
- Stories may be submitted via email at
in .doc or .rtf format.
- Manuscript format: double spaced, large margins, sensible serif font, Australian English spelling.
- Submissions period open: 21 April – 5 November 2014.
- Payment: 2 copies of print anthology and Aus 2.5 cents/word (GST inc., maximum payment $187.50) on publication.