- Published on Sunday, 21 April 2013 23:59
Liz Grzyb and Talie Helene have compiled 34 fantastic stories and poems first published in 2012, from New Zealand's and Australia's finest writers.
The contents are
- Joanne Anderton, “Tied To The Waste”, Tales Of Talisman
- R.J. Astruc, “The Cook of Pearl House, A Malay Sailor by the Name of Maurice”, Dark Edifice 2
- Lee Battersby, “Comfort Ghost”, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine 56
- Alan Baxter, “Tiny Lives”, Daily Science Fiction
- Jenny Blackford, “A Moveable Feast”, Bloodstones
- Eddy Burger, “The Witch's Wardrobe”, Dark Edifice 3
- Isobelle Carmody, “The Stone Witch”, Under My Hat
- Jay Caselberg, “Beautiful”, The Washington Pastime
- Stephen Dedman, “The Fall”, Exotic Gothic 4, Postscripts
- Felicity Dowker, “To Wish On A Clockwork Heart”, Bread And Circuses
- Terry Dowling, “Nightside Eye”, Cemetary Dance
- Tom Dullemond, “Population Management”, Danse Macabre
- Thoraiya Dyer, “Sleeping Beauty”, Epilogue
- Will Elliot, “Hungry Man”, The One That Got Away
- Jason Fischer, “Pigroot Flat”, Midnight Echo 8
- Dirk Flinthart, “The Bull In Winter”, Bloodstones
- Lisa L. Hannett, “Sweet Subtleties”, Clarkesworld
- Lisa L. Hannett & Angela Slatter, “Bella Beaufort Goes To War”, Midnight And Moonshine
- Narrelle M. Harris, “Stalemate”, Showtime
- Kathleen Jennings, “Kindling”, Light Touch Paper, Stand Clear
- Gary Kemble, “Saturday Night at the Milkbar”, Midnight Echo 7
- Margo Lanagan, “Crow And Caper, Caper And Crow”, Under My Hat
- Martin Livings, “You Ain't Heard Nothing Yet”, Living With The Dead
- Penelope Love, “A Small Bad Thing”, Bloodstones
- Andrew J. McKiernan, “Torch Song”, From Stage Door Shadows
- Karen Maric, “Anvil Of The Sun”, Aurealis
- Faith Mudge, “Oracle's Tower”, To Spin A Darker Stair
- Nicole Murphy, “The Black Star Killer”, Damnation And Dames
- Jason Nahrung, “The Last Boat To Eden”, Surviving The End
- Tansy Rayner Roberts, “What Books Survive”, Epilogue
- Angela Slatter, “Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean”, This Is Horror Webzine
- Anna Tambour, “The Dog Who Wished He'd Never Heard Of Lovecraft”, Lovecraft Zine
- Kyla Ward, “The Loquacious Cadaver”, The Lion And The Aardvark: Aesop's Modern Fables
- Kaaron Warren, “River Of Memory”, Zombies Vs. Robots
In addition to the above incredible tales, the volume will include a review of 2012 and a list of highly recommended stories.
The editors will shortly begin reading for the fourth volume of The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror.
The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2012 is scheduled for publication in July 2013 and can be pre-ordered at indiebooksonline.com. The anthology will be available in hardcover, ebook and trade editions.
Edit 22/04/2013: Our original post credited The Apex Book of World SF 2 for the first appearance of Will Elliott's "Hungry Man". We have now amended this to reflect it's true first publication. Apologies to all concerned.