Liz Grzyb and Talie Helene have compiled an impressive list of fantastic stories first published in 2013, from New Zealand's and Australia's finest writers.
The 28 stories selected are
- Lee Battersby, “Disciple of the Torrent”, Tales of Australia: Great Southern Land
- Deborah Biancotti, “All the Lost Ones”, Exotic Gothic 5 Vol I
- Trudi Canavan, “Camp Follower”, Fearsome Journeys
- Robert G. Cook, “Glasskin”, Review of Australian Fiction Vol 5 #6
- Rowena Cory Daniells, “The Ways of the Wyrding Women”, One Small Step
- Terry Dowling, “The Sleepover”, Exotic Gothic 5 Vol II
- Thoraiya Dyer, “After Hours”, Asymmetry
- Marion Halligan, “A Castle in Toorak”, Griffith Review #42
- Dmetri Kakmi, “The Boy by the Gate”, The New Gothic
- David Kernot, “Harry's Dead Poodle”, Cover of Darkness Magazine
- Margo Lanagan, “Black Swan Event”, Griffith Review #42
- S.G. Larner, “Poppies”, Aurealis #65
- Martin Livings, “La Mort d'un Roturer”, This is How You Die
- Kirstyn McDermott, “Caution: Contains Small Parts”, Caution: Contains Small Parts
- Claire McKenna, “The Ninety Two”, Next
- C.S. McMullen, “The Nest”, Nightmare Magazine
- Juliet Marillier, “By Bone-Light “, Prickle Moon
- David Thomas Moore, “Old Souls”, The Book of the Dead
- Faith Mudge, “The Oblivion Box”, Dreaming of Djinn
- Ryan O'Neill, “Sticks and Stones”, The Great Unknown
- Angela Rega, “Almost Beautiful”, Next
- Tansy Rayner Roberts, “The Raven and Her Victory”, Where Thy Dark Eye Glances: Queering Edgar Allan Poe
- Nicky Rowlands, “On the Wall”, Next
- Carol Ryles, “The Silence of Clockwork”, Conflux 9 Convention Programme
- Angela Slatter, “Flight”, Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
- Anna Tambour, “Bowfin Island”, Caledonia Dreamin'
- Kaaron Warren, “Born and Bread”, Once Upon a Time: New Fairy Tales
- Janeen Webb, “Hell is Where the Heart is”, Next
In addition to the above incredible tales, the volume will include a review of 2013 and a list of highly recommended stories.
The editors will shortly begin reading for the fifth volume of The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror.
The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2013 is scheduled for publication in late-November 2014 and can be pre-ordered at indiebooksonline.com. The anthology will be available in hardcover, ebook and trade editions.